Re: [Xen-devel] Verifying XM - XL discrepancies

On Mon, 2014-12-22 at 15:47 +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
> High all,
>
> I am in the process of cleaning up the 4.5 documentation. One of the pages
> that needs verification is
> * http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/XL_vs_Xend_Feature_Comparison
>
> As we are removing XM, I would assume that the only discrepancies between XM
> and XL should be those that were intended. However looking at
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/XL_vs_Xend_Feature_Comparison, it is not
> clear which discrepancies are intended and which are not. If they are not
> intended, we should list workarounds with bugs tracking the issue, such that
> it does get resolved.
>
> Here is functionality that is in XM, but not in XL. Please pete me
> know whether this is intended, maybe give an explanation. If not
> intended, we ought to address the discrepancy, as we would leave
> existing users that use such a feature out in the cold.
>
> * Sharing storage across DomU's via w! in virtual machines configuration
> files - assuming this is by design?

I think it's just an omission, see
http://bugs.xenproject.org/xen/bug/26. It doesn't seem high priority
though, and I'm not sure if we would resolve it by accepting but
ignoring '!' for compat, or by actually implementing all the protections
which xend offered.

> * SCSI LUN/Host passthrough (PVSCSI)
> * USB 1.1 device passthrough via hotplug (using qemu xen traditional)
> * USB 1.1 device passthrough via hotplug (using upstream qemu)
> * USB 2.0 device passthrough (PVUSB)

I think there has been work on all of these, but nothing in tree just
yet.