Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC V9 3/4] domain snapshot design: xl

Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-12-19 at 00:03 -0700, Chun Yan Liu wrote:
>
> > '--name' meant to give a meaningful name (like: newinstall. Used as the
> > memory snapshot name and disk snapshot name).
>
> Where is this name stored and when and where would it be presented to
> the user?
e.g. For qcow2 internal disk snapshot, this name is stored within the disk.
When user wants to delete internal disk snapshot, it will be:
#qemu-img snapshot -d name disk

> > That's good. Then we need to add some description to tell users about
> > the auto-generated domain snapshot name, disk snapshot name,
> > memory state file and external disk snapshot files, etc.
>
> We will need user docs and manpage updates, yes.

> > > Ideally one or the other of these behaviours would be possible without
> > > needing to be quite so explicit.
> >
> > OK, I'll delete one.
>
> I don't object to having this more capable syntax as an option, so the
> user can override things if they wish, all I was suggesting is that the
> default ought to be something useful so the user doesn't need to say
> anything if they just want the toolstack to "do something sensible".

I see. By default user doesn't need to specify 'disks' at all, then xl
will do internal disk snapshot to each domain disk.