Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: Cleaning up the Mini-OS namespace

pooka@xxxxxx said:
> I wonder if work is minimized if we attempt to merge before or after
> we (I?) take the carving knife for a second round in the rumprun-xen
> repo to minimize MiniOS to run only on top of itself.

Before, I think. Minimizing our copy of Mini-OS duplicates what we would
need to do to the upstream copy.

I think the steps are roughly as follows:

  a) split the current rumprun-xen build out of the Mini-OS Makefile.
  b) replace our fork of Mini-OS with the vanilla upstream Mini-OS.
  c) re-apply my work and your work, while checking things keep working
  with upstream xen.git, until we get rumprun-xen working again.

c) will leave us with a set of patches to upstream.

Does this make sense? It's a fair amount of work but mostly retracing steps
we've already done.

It'd help if we had a full list of "what exactly needs to keep working
upstream", see my other reply to Andrew. Maybe also osstest building and
running Mini-OS related tests off our branch while we do the work? (Ian:
ping? Doable?)

Martin