Re: [Xen-devel] PVHVM drivers in upstream linux kernel

On 12/02/2014 12:59 PM, David Vrabel wrote:
On 02/12/14 11:33, Juergen Gross wrote:

I think we have customers wanting to run a default kernel as domU. So it
isn't always the distro refusing paravirt, it might be the user...

I don't think this is a sensible use case but I'm not adverse to
improving the set of Xen config options.

To sort things out I'd suggest to:
- make XEN independent from PARAVIRT
- let XEN_DOM0 select XEN_BACKEND, PARAVIRT, XEN
- let XEN_BACKEND select PARAVIRT, XEN (I'd like to be able to build
   a driver domain without XEN_DOM0)
- introduce XEN_FRONTEND, let it select XEN
- let frontend drivers and drivers needed by those depend on
   XEN_FRONTEND
- let XEN_PVHVM select XEN_FRONTEND

Rather than looking at the current set of configuration options, can you
look at what user-visible functionality or use cases need to be covered
by a (potentially new) set of configuration options?

I'd see:
- XEN_PV (selects PARAVIRT, XEN_FRONTEND): be able to run as pv-domain
  (x86 only)
- XEN_PVHVM (selects XEN_FRONTEND): be able to run as hvm-domain with
  pv-drivers
- XEN_BACKEND (selects PARAVIRT if x86): be able to run as driver domain
  (dom0 or other)
- XEN_DOM0 (selects PARAVIRT if x86, XEN_BACKEND): be able to run as
  dom0
- XEN_FRONTEND: be able to run as domU with pv-drivers

Juergen