Re: [Xen-devel] PCI and VGA Passthrough regressions on Xen 4.4.1 vs 4.3.2

On November 15, 2014 6:59:51 AM EST, Zir Blazer <zir_blazer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I'm happy that you managed to reproduce the sound issue. It means that
>it will be possible to track it down and fix it.
>So, if I understanded properly: It does NOT happen on your custom Xen
>4.4 build, but the one that Fedora got is affected by it.

I did an 'custom' build (the only custom thing is that it is stock and has
debug=y) and with Xen 4.4 from that build I can hear the sound issue.

From my testing - Xen 4.5 - good. Xen 4.4 - not good. Hadn't yet done 4.3.

Which is excellent as it removes variables.

>Could it be
>that your unstable build got any recent patch that fixes it that Fedora
>doesn't have should it be using the stable source? Should be the same
>with Arch Linux.
>Have your tried with the workaround of not using xen-pciback for the
>Sound Card and instead using xl pci-assignable-add? It should work,
>too.

The kernel I  am using as dom0 has no sound drivers so the pre-init workaround
is not in effect.

Depending on the list of patches - it might be easier to bisect based on 4.5
instead of Xen 4.3 or 4.4.

Anyhow have to figure out how to make this automated to do the week long
bisection.

>For my Radeon 5770, I use Catalyst 12.1 Drivers. The reason is that
>they're the latest which includes OpenCL support out of the box in
>Windows XP. It got removed from later versions, and not so much later,
>AMD branched out old GPU into another set of Drivers. If I recall
>correctly, the 12.1 are still unified, so they should work for your
>4xxx.
>Cause AMD website has become a pain in the ass to browse if you're
>looking for older Driver versions archives, you can use the TechPowerUp
>mirror:
>www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2096/amd-catalyst-12-1-software-suite-winxp-32-bit/mirrors
>Download with confidence, they're the same ones that I'm using and
>TechPowerUp is a reputable Hardware reviewer website. Otherwise, you
>can download the latest legacy 14.4 from AMD website:
>support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows%20XP%20-%20Professional/Home&RenderOnServer=true

Ah! Thank you for the link!

>I will stay tuned on this.

>> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 17:12:19 -0500
>> From: konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx
>> To: zir_blazer@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> CC: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] PCI and VGA Passthrough regressions on Xen
>4.4.1 vs 4.3.2
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 04:08:14PM -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
>wrote:
>when compared to 4.3.2. Due to the added complexity of VGA Passthrough,
>I was suggested to focus instead in my PCI Passthrough issue, which
>involves the integrated Sound Card of my Motherboard. While it passes
>to the DomU and works, it produces robotic, distorted and lagged noise
>everytime it reproduces sound. The Video Card is an absolute no-go. On
>the previous Xen version, everything else being equal, both works
>properly.I have been trying to gather as much information as possible
>of my issue according to Xen Wiki articles
>http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Debugging_Xen and
>http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Reporting_Bugs_against_Xen so this E-Mail
>comes attached with tons of logs.

>http://ark.intel.com/products/75462/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1245-v3-8M-Cache-3_40-GHz
>http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SAT.cfm
>>>
>>> So I tried this on my box which has similar specs:
>>>
>>> Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
>>>
>>> [ 0.000000] DMI: Supermicro X10SAE/X10SAE, BIOS 2.00 04/21/2014
>>>
>>> with todays' xen-unstable and with a simple guest config:
>>>
>>> builder='hvm'
>>> memory = 2048
>>> name = "WinXP"
>>> vcpus=1
>>> vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:0F:4B:00:00:61,bridge=switch' ]
>>> disk=[ 'phy:/dev/G/WinXP,hda,w']
>>> vnc=1
>>> videoram=8
>>> vnclisten="0.0.0.0"
>>> vncpasswd=''
>>> stdvga=0
>>> usb=1
>>> usbdevice='tablet'
>>> qemu_model_version="traditional"
>>> device_model_version = 'qemu-xen-traditional'