Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: Configuring rumprun-xen application stacks from Xenstore

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Martin Lucina <martin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Following is the high-level description from the Git commit:
>>
>> Can you also post an example of the usage of your CLI tool?  Actually,
>> can you post a rough description of the entire process that a user would
>> have to follow, i.e. compile, configure, run.
>
> Running "xr" with no parameters gives a nice command reference :-)
>
> Anyhow:
>
> Simple hello world using tests/hello/hello built as part of buildxen.sh:
>
>  # xr run -i tests/hello/hello
>
> Running a webserver:
>
> Get mathopd source from http://mathopd.org/. I used mathopd as it's BSD
> licensed, non-forking and small. To build and run it:
>
> 1. git clone, buildxen.sh
>
> 2. Put app-tools at the *END* of your $PATH. There is a bug/interaction
> with the app-tools ld that breaks things if you put it before the real ld.
>
> 3. (in mathopd/src) rumpapp-xen-make
>
> 4. You need filesystem images for a stub /etc and /data. I am using cd9660
> for these as you can portably generate that anywhere you have genisoimage
> (ex mkisofs). (see below)
>
> 5. Assuming you have those, run the following in the mathopd src directory,
> as root:
>
>  # xr run -i -n inet:dhcp -b etc.iso:/etc -b data.iso:/data mathopd -nt -f
> /etc/mathopd.conf
>
> This will configure xenif0 using dhcp/ipv4, mount /etc and /data using the
> respective images and then run "mathopd -nt -f /etc/mathopd.conf". The
> mathopd options tell it not to fork into the background and to write logs
> to standard output.

I think the network config needs more thought - like disk it needs a
host side vs rump side set of options, wg you might want to specify a
mac address and bridge to connect to on the xen side, then some
options on rump side, eg dhcp, or none (which should just being it up
which will do ipv6 anyway). An option to use a config file might be
nice too.

Justin