Re: [Xen-devel] how to deal with copy_to_user returning non zero

On 07/11/14 10:38, Anh Dinh wrote:
I'm testing out a hypercall that takes in large data (many MB) from the user space and simply copy the data back.

For copying in, I call xmalloc_array() for about 4MB at a time and call copy_from_user() successfully for the entire input.

The problem is with copy_to_user() which returns non-zero values. I tried to vary the size of the data being copy, but still unable to copy the whole data back.

What are the cause of copy_to_user() failure? I checked the source I got quite lost at the code.

How could I make sure all data is copy back? Surely it is not a memory limitation problem, because I copy_from_user() succeeds for over 100MB.

copy_to_user() returns non-zero if it encounters a fault while moving data, generally a pagefault.

******
long do_test_copy(long n, unsigned char *in, unsigned char *out){

This looks quite bogus.  You should have XEN_GUEST_HANDLE() for a pointer into guest memory.  A bare pointer like *in is completely wrong.

~Andrew

        unsigned char **tmp;
        long ret;
        int m = n/(MAX_ALLOC);
        tmp = xmalloc_array(unsigned char*,m);

        for (int i=0; i<m; i++){
                tmp[i] = xmalloc_array(unsigned char, MAX_ALLOC);
                copy_from_user(tmp[i],in+i*MAX_ALLOC,MAX_ALLOC);
        }

        for (int i=0; i<m; i++){
                if (tmp[i]){
                        ret = copy_to_user(out+i*MAX_ALLOC,tmp[i],MAX_ALLOC);
                        xfree(tmp[i]);
                }
        }
        xfree(tmp);