Re: [Xen-devel] Security policy ambiguities - XSA-108 process post-mortem

>>> On 21.10.14 at 16:31, <msw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On this point in particular, back in 2012 [1] I suggested that all
> membership requests should be discussed in public on a community email
> list like xen-devel, or another email list to avoid noise. The Xen
> Project Security Team shouldn't have to evaluate petitions for
> membership while managing an embargoed issue. I brought this up again
> in 2013 [2] regarding the Coverity process.
Matt,
I don’t have an issue with such an approach, in particular as this is a proven
model elsewhere. I would like to understand though how the oss-security process
works in practice. Aka how are decisions made, who can join the list, how are
conflicts resolved, etc. It seems to me that such a process would be more
transparent and also fair. In particular, if we have clear criteria as to what
needs to be in place to be eligible.
It seems to me that if we do this, we may need to look at the Project
Governance as well, as having a stake in decision making requires maintainer
status today. The existing decision making process could easily be used to
discuss access related to Coverity. It is not entirely clear to me whether
maintainers should have to carry the burden of making decisions on who can join
the pre-disclosure list.
Do you expect that maintainers would decide who can join the pre-disclosure
list after a public discussion?
Or is there another group of community members who have earned some kind of
credibility to make decisions? And if so, who are they and how is credibility
earned? I am assuming that oss-security has developed its own group of
distinguished members.
Also, we would need to ensure that requests are not dropped and that the
required admin works (adding entities who qualify to the pre-disclosure list as
well as adding them to the website).
Best Regards
Lars