Re: [Xen-devel] Blocking CR and MSR writes via mem_access?

  • To: Tamas K Lengyel <tamas.lengyel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Razvan Cojocaru <rcojocaru@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 17:25:56 +0300
  • Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://domainkeys.sourceforge.net/
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 14:25:17 +0000
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=default; d=bitdefender.com; b=Z42aYSdVYdcgvlGF6MlXWAP42W8/37CPClhQYkzkGBqUc2/mUgHma19aA2aXbciuBY191YQ+hdf8DBZ6GE9fV+j92XAuzQFIAiMkpcSLEYhuuzRA6hDFROHKUF5ld6eu4dJUQvdHD+GF8w2/LwDt+Ee6hlUNws6tyfKYlHy0xJ8J4tus1pQGahDB/Pkqt9S8UqwYFbNgelOakMk6kkjpy9b8rAoQ8YHaFd5uKgJqiDMGGbUY0qfpt/1SkoRZ5g24O751VSsOqaqlfGm70pg959D/7xqcjm5omGGIzS1OmCgtJYlqF+TMCxXxLXQAC8SofTaq+bEKx104a2gMHvdzKA==; h=Received:Received:Received:Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:User-Agent:MIME-Version:To:CC:Subject:References:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-BitDefender-Scanner:X-BitDefender-Spam:X-BitDefender-SpamStamp:X-BitDefender-CF-Stamp;

On 10/03/2014 07:22 PM, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/10/14 13:32, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:
>>
>>     On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Razvan Cojocaru
>>     <rcojocaru@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rcojocaru@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>>         Hello,
>>
>>         Currently hvm_memory_event_cr3() and the other
>>         hvm_memory_event_*()
>>         functions in hvm.c can pause the VCPU and send a mem_event
>>         with the new
>>         value of the respective register, but especially in the case of CR
>>         events (as opposed to MSR events), this is done _after_ the
>>         value is set
>>         (please see hvm_set_cr3() in hvm.c).
>>
>>         It would be interesting from a memory introspection
>>         application's point
>>         of view to be able to receive a mem_event _before_ the value
>>         is set, and
>>         important to be able to veto the change.
>>
>>         A few questions:
>>
>>         1. Would it be acceptable to move the CR3 event sending code
>>         so that a
>>         mem_access client would receive the event _before_ the write takes
>>         place? Is this likely to break other mem_event clients that
>>         might rely
>>         on the event being received _after_ the value has been set?
>>

>>     Yes, it would break existing applications.
>>

>>         2. I see that mem_event responses from all these cases (EPT
>>         violations,
>>         CR, MSR) are handled in p2m.c's p2m_mem_access_resume() (seems
>>         to be
>>         confirmed by testing). Is this correct?
>>
>>         3. What would be the sanest, most elegant way to modify Xen so
>>         that
>>         after a mem_event reply is being received for one of these
>>         cases (CR,
>>         MSR), the write will then be rejected? I'm asking because, as
>>         always,
>>         ideally this would also benefit other Xen users and an elegant
>>         patch is
>>         always more likely to find its way into mainline than a quick
>>         hack.
>>

>>     You can already block such writes with the existing post-write
>>     event delivery. If you are continuously watching for writes, you
>>     know what the previous value was (for CR events it is actually
>>     delivered to you by Xen as well as per my recent patch). If you
>>     don't like a particular new value that was set, just reset it to
>>     the value you had / want.
>>
>>     Tamas
>
>     That doesn't work if you join an event listener between the previous
>     MSR write and one you wish to veto.
>

> Yes, that's correct. That's why I said it works if you continuously
> monitor for writes. I think that's a reasonable assumption. We could
> also make the MSR write events deliver the previous value as well
> similar to how the CR events do it. Anyway, AFAIU the hardware traps
> always happen before the write so technically both approaches are
> pre-write from the guest's perspective.

I've actually been looking at this for a bit, and while it's true that
it might work for CR events, it's less clear how that would work for MSRs.

The CR part might be done in the following fashion:

vcpu_guest_context_any_t ctx;

if (xc_vcpu_getcontext(xch, domain, req.vcpu_id, &ctx) == 0) {
        ctx.c.ctrlreg[crNumber] = req.gla; /* old value */
        xc_vcpu_setcontext(xch, domain, req.vcpu_id, &ctx);
}

However, only a very small number of MSRs are being offered for
manipulation from dom0 via libxc (xen/include/public/arch-x86/hvm/save.h):

struct hvm_hw_cpu {
/* ... */
    /* msr content saved/restored. */
    uint64_t msr_flags;
    uint64_t msr_lstar;
    uint64_t msr_star;
    uint64_t msr_cstar;
    uint64_t msr_syscall_mask;
    uint64_t msr_efer;
    uint64_t msr_tsc_aux;
/* ... */
};

So this would either require expanding the vcpu_guest_context_any_t
information, or adding a new hypercall that sets MSRs (which would wrap
/ ultimately end up calling msr_write_intercept(msr, value)).

Am I missing something obvious here, or were you explictly only talking
about CRs?

Thanks,
Razvan Cojocaru