Re: [Xen-devel] Panic on Seattle (resend)

On Tue, 2014-09-30 at 02:43 -0500, Suravee Suthikulpanit wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been trying to boot the latest Xen code on Seattle (while I am
> getting the patch ready to be sent out), and I ran into the following issue.

> (XEN) Brought up 6 CPUs
> (XEN) CPU 5 booted.
> (XEN) P2M: 44-bit IPA with 44-bit PA
> (XEN) P2M: 4 levels with order-0 root, VTCR 0x80043594
> (XEN) *** LOADING DOMAIN 0 ***
> (XEN) Loading kernel from boot module @ 0000008008800000
> (XEN) elf_init: not an ELF binary
> (XEN)
> (XEN) ****************************************
> (XEN) Panic on CPU 0:
> (XEN) Could not set up DOM0 guest OS
> (XEN) ****************************************
> (XEN)
> (XEN) Manual reset required ('noreboot' specified)
>
> I have not tracked down to a particular commit ID. But do you guys see
> anything suspicious with the error message?

The elf_init thing is suspicious, it suggests Xen hasn't properly
figured out the type of your kernel image. Is it a regular bare arm64
Image (from arch/arm64/boot/Image)? You can't boot the vmlinux from the
top level directly (AFAIK).

> My understanding is with 4-level page, it requires 4K page and 48 bits
> PA. However, the message above showing 44-bit PA. Is this intentional?

The 44 comes from  ID_AA64MMFR0_EL1.PARange.

4-levels are required for anything above 40-bits, so 44-bit PA also
needs 4-levels. This comes from things like tables D4-5 and D4-10 in the
ARMv8 ARM, which give the T0SZ range and maximum number of
levels/concatenation for various PAsizes.