Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Project policy on feature flags

On 29/09/14 10:36, George Dunlap wrote:
> On 09/29/2014 10:31 AM, Wei Liu wrote:

>> FWIW reverting isn't practical as many more fixes have gone in.
>>
>> I think a possible workaround is to copy directly xen-netback directory
>> from 3.14 and build it against new kernel. Netback itself is quite
>> self-contained.
>
> Could we provide a patch which would just disable the problematic behavior?

No.  This would require re-introducing the grant copy from-guest path to
netback.  This would be expensive since netback has seen significant
changes since (multi-queue support in particular).

It would also not fix the underlying ARM-specific bug and other users of
grant mapping would be similarly broken.

I think we should:

1. Revert XENFEAT_grant_map_identity.
2. Add the flush-cache-by-bus-address hypercall.
3. Add the Linux support this this cache operation and tag this for stable.
4. Backport the hypercall to 4.4.x.

I think this is critical to fix in 4.5 and should have a freeze
exception.  I would even consider slipping the 4.5 release to get this
fixed.

David