Re: [Xen-devel] Xen-unstable: pci-passthrough "irq 16: nobody cared" on HVM guest shutdown on irq of device not passed through.

Friday, September 26, 2014, 11:43:04 AM, you wrote:

>>> I suppose that hang is with irqpoll still in use? Ctrl-a not working anymore
>>> makes me wonder whether you use a PCI serial card sitting on that same
>>> IRQ for the Xen console...
>>
>> With and without irqpoll in use.

> Oh, even without. That's worrying indeed. But again, the main thing
> to understand is who sets up and unmasks IRQ 16 when and for
> what reason.

After i disabled the sound device in the bios, irq16 is not setup anymore.
It's not present in /proc/interrupts, i don't see it in the logs (no gsi 16,
no irq 16)
I also don't get the "irq 16 nobody cared" anymore, but instead a freeze.

So i'm a bit inclined to say that it is a coincidence that what ever is wrong
always seems to hit that when it was present, but is hitting something else
less
verbose now and freezing the machine.

>> I don't know what happens if there is a race / ordering problem in say
>> xen/iommu/pciback pulling
>> the device from the guest on shutdown while there are still irq's pending ?
>>
>> (the code of xen_pciback's release and resetting function for instance seems
>> to do a different
>> ordering compared to vfio-pci's)

> That's a different aspect, as long as I recall correctly that the passed
> through device isn't itself sitting on IRQ 16.

No it's not, but i don't know what would happen if the devices is being reset
before being completely disabled / have irq's disabled. And it issues an irq
request, for an irq that isn't handled/registered anymore, but i would assume
it to
be discarded and an error message printed ..

The other strange thing is that i don't have problems with restarting HVM
guests
with other passed through device types (usb controllers, videograbber), only
difference regarding irq's is that they use intx of msi-x and not msi.