Re: [Xen-devel] [XEN/ARM PATCH v1 1/1] Unbreak Arndale XEN boot

Hi Suriyan,

On 12/09/14 10:50, Suriyan Ramasami wrote:
A few procedural comments:

Please use "git format-patch" (or even git send-email) and not "git
show" to export the patch for sending, this will remove the unnecessary
indent.

I actually use git format-patch to generate the patch, and I do edit
some of the comments in that patch file, before I use git send-email.
Can you please give me an example of the  "unnecessary indent" that
you mention, so I can check what I am doing wrong.

Each beginning of your commit message lines start by an indent. git format-patch should drop it by default.

Current you have smth like:

        foo
        base

This should be:

foo
base

The email's subject line will be included into the commit message, so no
need to repeat it in the body. "git format-patch" will do the right
thing.

"Changes between versions" stuff should come after your S-o-b and a
"---" (on a line of its own) marker, which means that they won't get
included in the commit message.

Sorry about that. I did know that part (has been repeatedly mentioned
before). It was a mistake on my part, while editing the output of
format-patch, I manually copy and paste the version changes that I am
doing, and this time around I pasted it before the S-o-b. Is that not
the right approach?

The S-o-b can be generated directly when you generate the commit (git commit -s ...).

For the changes you can also add in your commit message directly. So you should not need to modify the patch generated by git format-patch.

Regards,

--
Julien Grall