Re: [Xen-devel] cpufreq implementation for OMAP under xen hypervisor.

Hi,

Stefano, Ian,

Could you please clarify the following point:

I agree that decision about frequency change should be taken by Xen
hypervisor. But what about hardware frequency changing?
In general when frequency changed to bigger value (for example from 1
GHz to 1.5 GHz) for ARM kernels sequence looks like the following:

1) cpufreq governor decides that frequency should be changed. This
decision is taken after analysing of CPU performance data taking in
account governor policy.
2) cpufreq governor asks cpufreq driver about new frequency.
3) cpufreq driver compares current and target frequencies and asks
cpufreq regulator about voltage change.
4) cpufreq regulator send i2c command to standalone microchip, which
is responsible for voltage changing.
5) cpufreq driver asks clock framework about new frequency for CPU clock
6) clock framework performs frequency sanity checks, taking in account
clock parents and clock divider settings, and call platform specific
"set_frequency" callback.
7) platform specific callback performs proper HW registers
configuration for newly selected frequency

Also there are some special cases - for example for OMAP5+ when
frequency is changed to 1.5 GHz+, two additional HW IPs should be
triggered (ABB and DCC, if someone is familiar with OMAP5+ )

So, for generic ARM kernel we have 3 entities to change frequency:

- cpufreq governor
- cpufreq driver
- cpufreq regulator

+ 2 additional IP for OMAP5+
- ABB
- DCC

Taking in account all above, it looks like it would be better to
implement only Xen cpufreq governor. Xen will take a decision about
new frequency, and kernel dom0 will perform other steps. Dom0 contains
all generic and platform specific frameworks, needed for frequency
changing.

What do you think ?

Regards,
Andrii