Re: [Xen-devel] Code 12 with VGA passthrough, even with qemu-traditional

On 21 August 2014 23:42:13 BST, Richie <listmail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 8/21/2014 6:01 PM, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:

I have a system (amd based) with radeon HD6950 that is able to be
passed through to a linux HVM guest (although you only get output
after the kernel loads the radeon KMS/DRM driver since it's secondary

passthrough). This is _not_ the primary graphics card from the host
(got another radeon for dom0).

Just chiming in here with a side note.

I decided to test out KVM + vfio on 3.16 with acs + intel igd patches
and passed through my secondary card. It was successful

...snip...

Now to be clear, I am partial to Xen. My thinking is that at some
point (or perhaps even now) that using the qemu upstream device model
with Xen will yield this type of capability.

Hopefully the VGA passthrough will improve on Xen (non VGA passthrough is
fine). I'm curious too as to whether Xen could use VFIO at some point - there's
been a lot of work to decouple it from KVM and remove assumptions about PC
architecture (like Xen, KVM is busily supporting ARM).

Would it be possible or do licensing/coding issues apply?