Re: [Xen-devel] Xen PV domain regression with KASLR enabled (kernel 3.16)

On 21.08.2014 18:03, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
> <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 11:53:03AM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:

>>> Oh! That's very interesting. There must be some assumption in Xen
>>> about the kernel VM layout then?
>>
>> No. I think most of the changes that look at PTE and PMDs are are all
>> in arch/x86/xen/mmu.c. I wonder if this is xen_cleanhighmap being
>> too aggressive
>
> (Sorry I had to cut our chat short at Kernel Summit!)
>
> I sounded like there was another region of memory that Xen was setting
> aside for page tables? But Stefan's investigation seems to show this
> isn't about layout at boot (since the kaslr=0 case means no relocation
> is done). Sounds more like the split between kernel and modules area,
> so I'm not sure how the memory area after the initrd would be part of
> this. What should next steps be, do you think?

Maybe layout, but not about placement of the kernel. Basically leaving KASLR
enabled but shrink the possible range back to the original kernel/module split
is fine as well.

I am bouncing between feeling close to understand to being confused. Konrad
suggested xen_cleanhighmap being overly aggressive. But maybe its the other way
round. The warning that occurs first indicates that PTE that was obtained for
some vmalloc mapping is not unused (0) as it is expected. So it feels rather
like some cleanup has *not* been done.

Let me think aloud a bit... What seems to cause this, is the change of the
kernel/module split from 512M:1.5G to 1G:1G (not exactly since there is 8M
vsyscalls and 2M hole at the end). Which in vaddr terms means:

Before:
ffffffff80000000 - ffffffff9fffffff (=512 MB)  kernel text mapping, from phys 0
ffffffffa0000000 - ffffffffff5fffff (=1526 MB) module mapping space

After:
ffffffff80000000 - ffffffffbfffffff (=1024 MB) kernel text mapping, from phys 0
ffffffffc0000000 - ffffffffff5fffff (=1014 MB) module mapping space

Now, *if* I got this right, this means the kernel starts on a vaddr that is
pointed at by:

PGD[510]->PUD[510]->PMD[0]->PTE[0]

In the old layout the module vaddr area would start in the same PUD area, but
with the change the kernel would cover PUD[510] and the module vaddr + vsyscalls
and the hole would cover PUD[511].

xen_cleanhighmap operates only on the kernel_level2_pgt which (speculating a bit
since I am not sure I understand enough details) I believe is the one PMD
pointed at by PGD[510]->PUD[510]. That could mean that before the change
xen_cleanhighmap may touch some (the initial 512M) of the module vaddr space but
not after the change. Maybe that also means it always should have covered more
but this would not be observed as long as modules would not claim more than
512M? I still need to check the vaddr ranges for which xen_cleanhighmap is
actually called. The modules vaddr space would normally not be touched (only
with DEBUG set). I moved that to be unconditionally done but then this might be
of no use when it needs to cover a different PMD...

Really not sure here. But maybe a starter for others...

-Stefan