Re: [Xen-devel] How to create PCH to support those existing driver

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 05:01:25PM +0800, Chen, Tiejun wrote:
> On 2014/8/18 16:21, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> >>Okay, now just reissue this discussion to all related guys. And do you think
> >>we need to discuss in public, qemu and xen mail list?
> >
> >Absolutely.
>
> Now -CC qemu, xen and intel-gfx.
>
> If I'm missing someone important please tell me as well.

> >>Here correct one point, we don't need to care about supporting the legacy
> >>driver since the legacy driver still should work qemu-traditional. So we
> >>just make sure the existing driver with this subsystem_id way can support
> >>those existing and legacy platform.
> >>
> >>Now this is clear to me.

> >>But from that email thread, "RH / Intel Virtualization Engineering Meeting -
> >>Minutes 7/10", I didn't see other idea we should prefer currently.

> >>Actually we had a meeting to discuss our future solution, but seems you were
> >>on vacation at that moment :)
> >>
> >>In that meeting we had an agreement between us and some upstream guys.
> >>
> >>We will have such a PCI capability structure in this PCI device to represent
> >>all information in the future. This make sens to Intel as well.
> >>
> >>Maybe Allen or Paolo known more details.
> >>
> >>But obviously this a long-term solution, so currently we will work with this
> >>subsystem_id way temporarily. And this way is accepted by those guys in the
> >>meeting.
> >

> >I don't see the point really. If you are modifying the driver,
>
> Yes, we need to modify something in the driver.
>
> >why not modify it to its final form.
>
> What's your final form?

Avoid poking at other devices besides the passed through card.
Get everything from BAR and other registers of the card.

> As I track that email thread, seems the follows is just a way you guys
> achieve a better agreement.
>
> "
> > why not set the subsys vid to the RH/Quamranet/Virtio VID, so it's
> > obvious for the use-match?
>
> That's exactly the suggestion.  Though upstream they might be using the
> XenSource id since the patches were for Xen.
>
> Paolo
> "
> Or I'm missing something?
>
> Thanks
> Tiejun

I thought the point of this work is to make existing
linux/windows drivers work. Is it or isn't it?

Wrt changing drivers, change them to behave sanely, like all other
drivers, and avoid poking at the chipset.
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xorg.drivers.intel/42258
Seems to suggest one way to do this.
Can what is suggested there work for existing devices?