Re: [Xen-devel] [Query] Flow of PCI device dedicated to a domU

Please don't use HTML emails and please don't top post.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014, Xenbegn developer wrote:
> Ian Can you please help in this. I am trying to understand how things are
> done in x86 xen. Based on that will
> implement in ARM PCI passthrough

The basic mechanism is that Xen assigns the PCI root complex/host
bridge to Dom0. Dom0 walks the bus and finds out the devices available.

When the user assigns a PCI device to a VM, the toolstack (xl/libxl)
issues hypercalls to remap interrupts and MMIO regions of that device
into the guest VM.
The device is added to the guest virtual PCI bus that is created by the
xen-pcifront driver at boot. PCI config space reads/writes go through
xen-pcifront that talks to xen-pciback in Dom0.

PCI bus enumeration is done by Dom0 at boot time. Dom0 issues hypercalls
to Xen to tell the hypervisor what devices are available. It would be
conceivable to do the enumeration directly in Xen if Xen had the
appropriate driver for the host bridge. It might be even better.

The main interaction between Xen and the config space of PCI devices is
about MSI programming. Xen programs MSIs directly because it is Xen that
is going to receive them and then inject them into guests.

If I were you I would base my work on Julien SMMU series and I would
ignore MSIs for now. I would try to get pcifront and pciback running and
then assign a PCI device to a guest, only using legacy interrupts.

After that you could try to add support for doing PCI config space reads
and writes in Xen. Then introduce MSI support but, as Ian wrote, you
would need to rebase your work on the GICv3 series. I don't think you
actually need full ITS support to be able to get MSI running though.
You might already have everything you need in terms of patches, but they
are still not applied to xen-unstable yet.