Re: [Xen-devel] VT-d spin loops

On 26/06/14 11:30, Jan Beulich wrote:
> All,
>
> VT-d code currently has a number of cases where completion of certain
> operations is being waited for by way of spinning. The various instances
> can be identified relatively easily by grep-ing for all uses of
> DMAR_OPERATION_TIMEOUT (the majority of instances use that
> variable indirectly through IOMMU_WAIT_OP()), allowing for loops of
> up to 1 second. While in many of the cases this _may_ be acceptable
> (which would need to be proven for each individual case, also taking into
> consideration how many of these spinning loops may be executed in a
> row with no preemption/scheduling in between), the invalidation case
> seems particularly problematic: Using DMAR_OPERATION_TIMEOUT is
> a mistake here in the first place, as the timeout here isn't related to
> response times by the IOMMU engine. Instead - with ATS in use - the
> specification mandates a timeout of 1 _minute_ (with a 50% slack, the
> meaning of which none of us [Andrew and Malcolm brought this issue
> to my attention in private talks on the hackathon] was able to really
> interpret in a sensible way).

From a worst case point of view, this 50% slack means 90 seconds total.

> So there are two things that need doing rather sooner than later:
>
> First and foremost the ATS case needs to be taken into consideration
> when doing invalidations. Obviously we can't spin for a minute, so
> invalidation absolutely needs to be converted to a non-spinning model.
> We realize this isn't going to be trivial, which is why we bring this up
> here rather than coming forward with a patch right away.
>
> Second, looking at Linux (which interestingly enough also spins, and
> that even without any timeout) there are flags in the fault status
> register that can be used to detect at least some loop abort conditions.
> We should definitely make use of anything that can shorten these
> spinning loops (as was already done in commit dd6d87a4 ["VT-d: drop
> redundant calls to invalidate_sync()"] as a very tiny first step). The
> main problem with trying to clone at least some of the functionality
> from Linux is that I'm not convinced the replaying they do can
> actually do anything good. Plus it's clear that - spinning or not - the
> consequences of an invalidation request not completing successfully
> need to be taken care of (and it's of no help that in all cases I looked
> at so far errors passed up from the leaf functions sooner or later
> get dropped on the floor or mis-interpreted).
>
> And finally, all other spinning instances need to be audited to make
> sure they can't add up to multiple-second spins (iirc we can't
> tolerate more than about 4s without running into time problems on
> certain hardware).
>
> Jan

With a default watchdog, the maximum possible spin time is 5 seconds.

However, given the 1 second time calibration rendezvous, any spin longer
than 1 second will hold all other Xen cpus up waiting for the spinning
cpu, which is a stall of the entire results in a stall of the entire
system until the spinner has exited.

~Andrew