[Xen-devel] [Vote Summary] Windows PV Drivers Incubation Project Proposal Approved

Hi all,

this proposal (http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Windows_PV_Drivers_Incubation_Project_Proposal) has gone through with 5 votes in favour and no objections.

There were a few minor text changes which Jon Ludlum proposed which don't block us from moving forwand and we also still have some lose ends about namespaces (e.g. exact repo name, mailing list names, etc.).

I had discussed this with Paul Durrant initially and will follow up with him tomorrow.

1:    We need to tie down the official name in line with trademark rules (this has come up at the board meeting)

        To comply with trademark rules, the official name needs to be "Xen Project ABC", e.g.
        "Xen Project Windows Drivers" or "Xen Project Windows PV Drivers"
        Personally I think shorter is better as it will sound better in press releases and other communication

2:    Tie down list name, aka. ABC-devel@...

        On the other hand, if we go for the shorter project name maybe win-drivers-devel@... is better as more consistent

3:    Tie down git repo namespace. As this proposal has been approved first, it will set the precedence for http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Embedded_and_Automotive_PV_Drivers_Project_Proposal

        What was discussed in the thread related to automotive was: git://xenbits.xen.org/pvdrivers/* as a root for all driver repos making locating driver repos easier
        Slightly shorter and more consistent is git://xenbits.xen.org/drivers/*, if we went for "Xen Project Windows Drivers"as name
        Whatever the root is, we should probably chose git://xenbits.xen.org/pvdrivers/win/*.git  or  git://xenbits.xen.org/drivers/win/*.git for the 5 proposed git repos

Timing of launch and creation of infrastructure still need to be worked out, once we agree on the details above. My suggestion would be to amend the proposal after I talked to Paul.

We briefly discussed at the Advisory Board meeting yesterday and it would make sense to tie this into a "momentum press release" and time it with the retiring of the ARM and PVOPS subprojects on the grounds that they achieved their project goals of establishing themselves firmly as core parts of the Hypervisor and Linux. But we have to carefully message this to avoid confusion. I had discussed this with Stefano and Konrad, who agree in principle. We also need to look at other upcoming PR for Mirage OS 2.0 (mid July), XAPI 2.0 (TBD) and "load balance".

Best Regards
Lars