Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 02/19] xen: guestcopy: Provide an helper to copy string from guest

>>> On 18.06.14 at 00:43, <dgdegra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not sure why you would want a string copy-in function to not
> NUL-terminate the strings it copies in.  If you don't want the strings
> to be NUL-terminated at all, I would call it buffer copy-in function
> (and copy_from_guest seems to cover buffer copy-in better).  If you want
> the strings to be NUL-terminated and the guest has passed you a length,
> it's simpler to have the hypervisor add the NUL instead of copying it
> and then checking that it is there.  The current toolstack code for
> XSM/FLASK relies on the hypervisor to add the NUL terminator, since it
> often passes in (s, strlen(s)).

I didn't say to just leave such strings unterminated. Instead I said
that if there is no zero terminator, rather than putting one there we
should just fail the operation if the buffer size limit was exceeded.

Jan