Re: [Xen-devel] What runtime states to be preserved across save / restore?

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 12:40:15PM +0200, Daniel Kiper wrote:

>> > I think max memory and target memory are easy -- I can retrieve them
>> > from xenstore. But where can I get information about memory hotplug?
>> > If the relevant bits are missing in libxl then I think we need another
>> > series to address this problem.
>>
>> I think that target and max memory should be sufficient. I mentioned
>
> Cool!
>
>> about that because when I tested migration with xm a few years ago
>> I was not able to migrate machine which had hotplugged memory. IIRC
>> it happened because migration process refered to config file instead
>> of checking relevant values in xenstore. Acording to my knowledge save
>> and restore machinery is (or was) used for migration. Correct me
>> if I am wrong.
>>

> You're right about this. ;-)

Hmm, speaking of which, you may want to check the Xen-enforced limit
as well.  Some toolstacks (such as xapi, and I believe xl) will
optionally lower a VM's memory limit in Xen, so that a VM cannot
balloon back up once it's ballooned down.  However, other toolstacks
(such as Oracle's, as I understand it) allow the VMs to balloon
themselves up if they want, and so don't set the limit.  Whatever the
limit is should probably be copied across by default.

 -George