Re: [Xen-devel] Q&A question: Dynamic Network Throttling?

On Mon, 2014-05-05 at 16:47 +0300, Pasi KÃrkkÃinen wrote:
> On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 08:51:24AM -0400, Russ Pavlicek wrote:
> > The following question came through on the Q&A system at
> > XenProject.org and I can't locate an answer for it.
> >
> > I know about the configuration for setting max bandwidth for VMs, but
> > nothing for having that setting dynamically adjust according to total
> > bandwidth on the machine.
> >
> > The question reads:
> >
> > "Hello!
> >
> > Is there a way to set up Xen that it distributes network bandwidth
> > based on current needs?
> >
> > Let's say I have 10 guest OS, each of them gets 10Mb/s. However, when
> > one of the hosts want to download something, and the rest don't use
> > their bandwidth at all he should be able to download at 100Mb/s.
> >
> > Sorry if this is a noob question, but I couldn't find the answer
> > anywhere. What should i use? Can qemu / Open vSwitch do that?
> >
> > Thank you in advance for your help."
> >
> > The original entry can be found here:
> > http://xenproject.org/help/questions-and-answers/dynamic-network-speed.html
> >

> If he's using Linux in dom0 then the usual Linux tc/QoS stuff can be
> used.. requires some scripting though.

This might even be overkill, by my reading of what he asks for the
default behaviour of of the network backend already does what he wants,
i.e. shares the available bandwidth among competing frontends. If 9/10
frontends are idle then the other will be able to utilise the full
bandwidth. If all 10/10 are active then each should get (roughly) 1/10th
of the bandwidth.