Re: [Xen-devel] What runtime states to be preserved across save / restore?

On Mon, 2014-04-28 at 14:10 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm trying to determine what runtime states to be preserved across
> save / restore.
>
> Things that are randomly generated if not set, definitely want to
> preserve:
> 1. guest uuid
> 2. mac address
> 3. vtpm uuid
>
> Things might change when guest is running, and seem to be worthy of
> preserving:
> 1. max memory size
> 2. target memory size
> 3. CDROM state
>
> As for other things, I think using the stored configurations and let the
> remote end make its own decision is sufficient.
>
> Thoughts?

I think the above looks pretty sensible.

Other things I can think of right now:

      * The devid of each device -- for some classes these can be
        automatically assigned, I'm not really sure if that needs
        preserving or not.
      * Hotplug of devices more generally

The selection of the block device backend is also interesting. If the
user didn't select then you want to remember that so the other end can
make its own choice about what is best, but if the user asked for
something explicit it needs preserving.

But more generally by making a baseline working version of this stuff
work at all you are also adding the moving parts which we would need to
fix any bugs which we later discover because we've not preserved
something.