Re: [Xen-devel] Release manager for Xen 4.5

On 23 Apr 2014, at 20:17, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> George has graciously volunteered to hand over the reins for
> doing the release management to me.
>
> He is going to enjoy more of the free time coding and such.
>
> I put on the XenHackathon Wiki an slot to discuss roadmap
> and what we want to have in Xen 4.5 - but we can also start
> discussing it now.
>
> The big question is how long do we want the cycle to be?
> Xen 4.4 was eight months, so
>
> a) did that work for you?
> b) If it did not, would you want to be longer (9 months?)
> c) or shorter (6 months?)

I think release time depend on list of features.
you can try to defile list of features and try to identify time for it.
also - it depend on how feature big/hard to develop.
if you have list with some big features with major changes - with huge delta -
will be better to split features to some parts of releases.
also - need to provide support for previous releases - and need time for fixes:
back ports if needed.
it based on my experiences in Release/Configuration management.

for example: my test port for xen-43 to illumos based platform has about 9
months and not finished.
but i have limited time to work on it - only by my free time. Without sponsors
and helpers this work will be moved to TODO list and probably someone else can
try continue it.

but - it is example only for one person with part time work on both sides: with
illumos updates and xen-43 updates.

-Igor