Re: [Xen-devel] Proposal: deprecate "vncviewer" option in xl domain config file

Wei Liu writes ("Re: Proposal: deprecate "vncviewer" option in xl domain config
file"):
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 04:50:56PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > Where is it saved?
>
> The domain config file is saved, then used when restoring. Restoring
> process involves re-parsing that config file.

Ie the domain configuration file provided to xl create is saved in the
libxl userdata.  During xl save, that domain configuration file is
recorded in the save image.  During xl restore, it is extracted from
the save image and reparsed.  If the original configuration file
contained "vncviewer=1", this will result in xl restore running the
vncviewer, regardless of xl restore's command line arguments.

> > Rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater can't we just say
> > that this option is only obeyed for the initial domain creation and not
> > for any subsequent migration or restore? What would avoid the need to
> > propagate it along with the save/migrate image.
>
> I think this is just wording issue. My "xl-json" format patch does this
> already.  I'm OK with any approach as long as I don't need to propogate
> it. :-P

Precisely.

Although, I would go further and say that this kind of thing shouldn't
be in the domain config file.  The same config file should be able to
start a domain both with and without automatically running vncviewer.

After all we don't have an xl domain config file option for
automatically running xenconsole - we rely, only, on the -c option for
that.