Re: [Xen-devel] Update seabios and upstream qemu versions used on xen-unstable

> On 04/15/2014 12:51 PM, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
>>
>> Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 1:18:32 PM, you wrote:

>>> I was thinking of submitting the update for QEMU when QEMU 2.0 will be
>>> out.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be sensible for xen-unstable to follow at least the qemu rc's so
>> those
>> get build and tested in the osstests ?

> It might make more sense to have a osstest target that used vanilla
> upstream -- in fact, there may be one already.

I don't know if by "vanilla" you mean an vanilla upstream stable .. or a
vanilla
upstream devel ?

Because Xen has a (soft) dependency on qemu for HVM .. i would expect Xen as a
project to test ... regularly devel ... or at least RC's from devel ... to make
sure that what
becomes a qemu-stable actually works with Xen (and have some time to actually
get fixes upstream in the event that things don't work out).

It shouldn't be a blocker for the push-gates, but as an earlier warning things
are go
a miss in relation to one of the dependencies .. and things need attention
preferably before that dependency project is going to release a stable version
that would end up in distro's.

The same goes for linux-linus and linux-next, although linux-next can be very
unpolished and full of non really xen related oopses and build failures.

Perhaps an "linux-xen-next" (so that would be only xen patches targeted for
linux-next) combined with linux-linus would be even more valuable ..
since the xen linux tree at git.kernel.org has pretty clear branchnames this is
already
pretty good manual testable (in later linux RC series, i mostly pull the xen
tree on top).

But perhaps in the future also an easy pull-able branch for the linux
net/net-next
patches (because these are sometimes a PITA to test beforehand due to: many
subsequent patch sessies .. and merge conflicts) would be nice and handy for
automatic testing and that would also facilitate manual testing of the net
patches before they get applied.

--
Sander