Re: [Xen-devel] Xen PVUSB work

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 7:17 AM, Chunyan Liu <cyliu@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, List,
>
> I found a thread in last August discussing about Xen PVUSB work status:
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-08/msg01807.html
>
> From this thread, there was patch series to support HVM and still need work
> support PV. But I don't see such changes in current xen git master.
>
> Does anyone know what's the current status? Is there any update to this work
> in past months?

Just to be clear, there are four things here:
1. A useful, general framework for USB in libxl
2. libxl support for emulated USB hotplug
3. libxl support for PVUSB
4. Linux support for PVUSB

#2 was what I was trying to work on about a year ago; it depends,
however, on #1.  In fact, both #2 and #3 should be fairly trivial once
#1 is implemented.  We made quite a bit of headway on #1, but ended up
having to stop for the 4.3 release, and I haven't had time to go back
to it yet.

We have a GSoC student who want to implement #3, so he'll probably end
up doing at least #1 and #3, possibly #2 (since the code is already
basically done).

The big thing need with PVUSB, as far as I can tell, is #4: the
frontend and backend drivers are not in upstream Linux yet, and
everyone says that even the drivers in "classic Xen" aren't really all
that great.

Does that answer your question?

 -George