Re: [Xen-devel] gross qemu behavior

Il 28/03/2014 18:52, Stefano Stabellini ha scritto:
This is a thorny issue, fixing this behavior is not going to be trivial:

- The hypervisor/libxc does not currently expose a
  xc_domain_remove_from_physmap function.

- QEMU works by allocating memory regions at the end of the guest
  physmap and then moving them at the right place.

- QEMU can destroy a memory region and in that case we could free the
  memory and remove it from the physmap, however that is NOT what QEMU
  does with the vga ROM. In that case it calls
  memory_region_del_subregion, so we can't be sure that the ROM won't be
  mapped again, therefore we cannot free it. We need to move it
  somewhere else, hence the problem.

Right; QEMU cannot know either if the ROM will be mapped again (examples include "cd /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:0:03.0 && echo 1 > rom && cat rom" or a warm reset).

But fortunately we don't actually need to add the VGA ROM to the guest
physmap for it to work, QEMU can trap and emulate. In fact even today we
are not mapping it at the right place anyway, see xen_set_memory:

But how can you execute from the VGA ROM then? Also, how do you migrate its contents? And how is VGA different from say an iPXE ROM?

It would be nice if QEMU could just special case pc.ram (which has block->offset == 0), and use the normal method to allocate other RAM regions. But I'm afraid that would require some changes in the Xen toolstack as well (for migration, for example) and I'm not sure how you could execute from PCI ROM BARs.

Paolo