Re: [Xen-devel] Xen-unstable Linux 3.14-rc3 and 3.13 Network troubles "bisected"

Paul,

You have been awfully silent for this whole thread while this is a regression
caused by a patch of you
(ca2f09f2b2c6c25047cfc545d057c4edfcfe561c as clearly stated much earlier in
this thread).

The commit messages states:
    "net_rx_action() is the place where we could do with an accurate
predicition but,
    since that has proven tricky to calculate, a cheap worse-case (but not too
bad)
    estimate is all we really need since the only thing we *must* prevent is
xenvif_gop_skb()
    consuming more slots than are available."

Your "worst-case" calculation stated in the commit message is clearly not the
worst case,
since it doesn't take calls to "get_next_rx_buffer" into account.

Problem is that a worst case calculation would probably be reverting to the old
calculation,
and the problems this patch was trying to solve would reappear, but introducing
new regressions
isn't very useful either. And since it seems such a tricky and fragile thing to
determine, it would
probably be best to be split into a distinct function with a comment to explain
the rationale used.

Since this doesn't seem to progress very fast .. CC'ed some more folks .. you
never know ..

--
Sander