Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] xen-create-image memory vs config file

  • To: Jeroen van der Ham <vdham@xxxxxx>
  • From: Wei Liu <liuw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 00:08:51 +0000
  • Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 00:09:42 +0000

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 3:33 PM, Jeroen van der Ham <vdham@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Iâm trying to use xen-create-image to create an installed Xen machine. If I
> do the following:

xen-create-image is part of xen-tools, which is not developed by core
Xen developers. So this one should be reported to xen-tools
maintainer(s).

> # sudo xen-create-image âhostname=foobar --memory=2048 --swap=1024M
> --size=10G --lvm=VolumeGroupXen --dist=wheezy --fs=ext3
> --mirror=http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian --genpass=1 --vcpus=2
> ERROR: 'memory' argument takes a suffixed integer.
>
> This does not work, because the memory argument is incorrect. So I adapt it:
>
> # sudo xen-create-image âhostname=foobar --memory=2048M --swap=1024M
> --size=10G --lvm=VolumeGroupXen --dist=wheezy --fs=ext3
> --mirror=http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian --genpass=1 --vcpus=2

I remember some xen-tools version has a bug regarding memory size. Are
you using Debian's package version? Could you try the lastest
xen-tools from upstream? Did changing "M" to "Mb" help (it should work
for both Squeeze and Wheezy)?

> This installs the machine successfully. If I then continue:
>
> # sudo xl create /etc/xen/foobar.cfg
> Parsing config from /etc/xen/foobar.cfg
> /etc/xen/foobar.cfg:13: warning: parameter `memory' is not a valid number
>
> This means I have to edit the configuration file and remove the âMâ from the
> memory number.
>
> Seems to me like xen-create-image and xl need to have a friendly argument on
> how to handle memory numbers.

I wrote a patch some time ago to make the parser handle memory suffix
but was not upstreamed. You're welcome to take that and upstream it,
or implement some cleaner solution.

Wei.