[Xen-devel] Next steps for GSoC and OPW mentors

Hi all,

you may have seen the announcement that the Xen Project and that we are also participating in round 8 of the Outreach Program for Women. The portals for both programs are here:
* http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/GSoc_2014
* http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/OutreachProgramForWomen/Round8

Both programs have a very similar structure: the main difference are differences in application deadlines and forms. As I will be on holidays in the coming weeks, Russell volunteered to help coordinate activities related to both programs. He also has administrator rights for the Google GSoC system

The other main difference is that OPW requires applicants to make a code contribution *before* the application. This requires working with the mentor and a reference to the contribution in the application. This can be a bug fix, code refactoring, writing a test case, etc. and is designed to get interns familiar with the tooling and culture in the project.

Although we do not require GSoC students to submit code before they apply, we *strongly encourage* them to do so and the application form is designed to encourage references to a students first contributions (bugs, wiki, etc.) and public communications on mailing lists. See http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/GSoc_2014#Finding_a_project_that_fits_you

== Program Mangement Committee for Mentors ==
To manage both programs, I propose that we set up a Commitee made up of 3-4 experienced GSoc and OPW mentors and former GSoC students to sanity check and review project proposals and provide advice to other mentors. Better the project proposals = happier mentors = happier students/interns = better outcome for the Xen Project and students.

Russell volunteered to reach out to candidates for the committee and to organize the first meetings (ideally sometimes next week). Once we have all applications in and mentors signed up, the committe would become a regular meeting for all mentors across GSoC and OPW who are mentoring students. We also need to decide which students to accept for both programs by April 18.

For mentors: please make sure that you only take on one intern or student. Mentoring more than one student is too hard.

== OPW ==
Intern application deadline: March 18th
Close of Intern Selection: April 18
Accepted participants announced : April 21
Internship Period: May 19 - August 18

Request to mentors:
* please update your projects on http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/OutreachProgramForWomen/Round8
* please hang out on the #xen-opw channel in the coming weeks, if you can and engage with interns
* please give interns small achievable tasks (on a public list) that help us identify whether the intern can can complete a project, prior to the application. This can be a bug fix, code refactoring, writing a test case, etc. and is designed to get interns familiar with the tooling and culture in the project.

== Google Summer of Code ==
Student application deadline: March 21th
Close of Student Selection: April 18
Accepted participants announced : April 21
Coding Period: May 19 - August 18

Request to mentors:
* please update your projects on http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/GSoc_2014
* please sign up to the GSoC website, aka
** create an account on https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014
** sign in
** fill out https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/connection/pick/google/gsoc2014 - "chose Xen Project"
* please hang out on the #xen-opw channel in the coming weeks, if you can and engage with students
* please give students small achievable tasks (on a public list) that help us identify whether the student can complete a project, prior to the application. This can be a bug fix, code refactoring, writing a test case, etc. and is designed to get students familiar with the tooling and culture in the project.

Best Regards
Lars