Re: [Xen-devel] vga passthrough with qemu-xen (or qemu upstream)

Hello,

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 01:24:23PM +0000, Wu, Feng wrote:

> > > Let me understand this correctly. If I have two VGA cards then I can
> > > passthrough
> > > secondary VGA card (in Dom0) to HVM as its primary VGA card. Is this
> > > right and
> > > if yes how can I do it?
> >
> > Passing any VGA card as a primary-in-domU has always been problematic.
>
> I think passing VGA card as a primary-in-domU works well in Qemu-traditional,
> right?

primary-in-domU requires vendor specific hacks in Xen qemu.
qemu-traditional includes many patches for Intel IGD primary passthru support,
but patches for AMD/ATI and Nvidia GPUs aren't merged to qemu-traditional.

There unapplied patches for qemu-traditional (AMD/Nvidia) GPU passthru are in
various source trees, mailinglist archives, and on some blogs around the
internet.

Also for Intel IGD I think there's at least one outstanding patch/fix that
hasn't been merged to qemu-traditional yet, see:

http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-02/msg00538.html
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-07/msg01385.html

The patch in question probably needs some work before it is suitable for being
applied to qemu-traditional.

> Thanks,
> Feng

-- Pasi