Re: [Xen-devel] Radeon DRM dom0 issues

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 01/20/2014 10:14:36 AM:

> From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Michael D Labriola <mlabriol@xxxxxxxx>,
> Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, michael.d.labriola@xxxxxxxxx
> Date: 01/20/2014 10:14 AM
> Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Radeon DRM dom0 issues
>
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 09:58:32AM -0500, Michael D Labriola wrote:
> > Anyone here running a dom0 w/ Radeon DRM?  I'm having consistent
crashes
> > with multiple older R600 series (HD 6470 and HD 6570) and unusably
slow
> > graphics with a newer HD7000 (can see each line refresh indiviually on

> > radeonfb tty).  All 3 systems seem to work fine bare metal.
>
> I hadn't been using DRM, just Xserver. Is that what you mean?

The R600 problems happen when in X, using OpenGL, on my dom0.  The
RadeonSI sluggishness is when using the KMS framebuffer device for a plain
text console login.

> > The R600 crashes happen seemingly randomly when using OpenGL
Compositor in
> > Enlightenment 0.17.  My dom0 need not even have any domUs running.
> > Sometimes it happens within a few minutes, sometimes it will run OK
for an
> > afternoon or so.  Eventually TTM issues an "unable to get page 0"
error
> > message, the radeon driver follows that up with a
> > "radeon_gem_object_create failed to allocate gem" error message.  Then
the
> > radeon driver starts spamming that gem failure message until I'm
forced to
> > reboot.
> >
> > Behavior is identical with kernel versions 3.8, 3.10, and 3.13-rc8.
> >
> > I'm using Xen 4.2.1 32bit.
> >
> > xen command line is:  vga=mode=0x314
> > kernel command line is:  root=/dev/md0 quiet pci=realloc
> > console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0
> >
> > Fingers crossed that there's some magic boot parameter I'm missing.
It's
> > been a while since I dabbled with this stuff.  ;-)
>
> That should have been working. I had been using Xserver for years now.
> Just to make sure - you aren't referring to running with X right? Just
> simple framebuffer?

I'm not sure I understand the delineation between Xserver and X...  I am
indeed in X, using xf86-video-ati and Mesa for OpenGL support.  I've been
doing this for years as well, but with nouveau and w/out 3d support.  Was
kinda hoping that the Radeon cards I got a hold of would allow for
hardware accelerated 3d on my dom0.

I just tried adding 'nopat' to the kernel command line.  I remember doing
that a year ago... don't recall why.  Any chance that helps?

---
Michael D Labriola
Electric Boat
mlabriol@xxxxxxxx