Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Add support for Xen ARM guest on FreeBSD

On Jan 18, 2014, at 8:01 PM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:

> On 01/18/14 20:44, Warner Losh wrote:
>> On Jan 18, 2014, at 4:41 PM, Julien Grall wrote:

>>> I have digged into the code to find the reason of my issue. FreeBSD is
>>> receiving a VM fault when the driver (xen-dt) is trying to setup the IRQ.
>>>
>>> This is because the GIC is not yet initialized but FreeBSD asks to unmask
>>> the IRQ (sys/arm/arm/gic.c:306).
>>>
>>> With this problem, all device nodes that are before the GIC in the device
>>> tree can't have interrupts. For instance this simple device will segfault
>>> on FreeBSD:
>>>
>>> / {
>>>
>>> mybus {
>>>    compatible = "simple-bus";
>>>
>>>    mynode {
>>>       interrupt-parent = &gic;
>>>       interrupts = <...>;
>>>    };
>>>
>>>    gic: gic@xxxx {
>>>       interrupt-controller;
>>>    }
>>> };
>>> };
>>>
>>> The node "mynode" will have to move after the GIC to be able to work
>>> correctly.
>> This stems from a difference in enumeration between FreeBSD and Linux.
>> FreeBSD enumerates the devices in DTB order, while Linux does a partial
>> ordering based on dependencies.
>>
>> Warner
>
> Enumerating in some other order doesn't necessarily help: since the
> interrupt and bus trees are independent, circular dependencies can
> happen. This is not a hypothetical: on most powermacs, the main
> interrupt controller is a functional unit on a PCI device -- a PCI
> device whose other units have interrupt lines that eventually connect
> back to itself. There is no way to fix that with ordering. So I think we
> still need to defer interrupt setup. It's not that bad -- PPC already
> does this to handle the powermac case.

I guess I've looked at simpler cases where interrupts and GPIO pins need to be
up before anything can work on Atmel...  We kinda fake it now, but there's some
ordering issues that are solved in this way. But I've not finished the work on
bringing Atmel into the FDT world yet. Deferred setup isn't always an option,
but I'll keep that in mind in case I hit that case...

The other way to cope is to use the multi-pass enumeration stuff that John
Baldwin put into the tree a while ago. In that case, you could enumerate
bridges, interrupt controllers, gpio providers, etc first, and then do  a
second pass that catches the rest of the devices and the interrupt processing
for the first pass devices. This is a variation on the deferred enumeration
stuff you are talking about, so that might be a better, more general solution
to these sorts of problems.

Warner