Re: [Xen-devel] incorrect disk numbering with qemu

On Wed, 2014-01-15 at 18:12 +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
> It seems qemu does not enumerate the configured disks correctly with a
> config like this:
>
> disk=[
>         'raw:/some.iso,hda:cdrom,r',
>         'raw:/some.raw,xvda,w',
> ]
>
> With a PV guest it works fine, the guest has a hda and xvda device.
> But a HVM guest fails to start:
> qemu-system-i386: -drive
> file=/some.raw,if=ide,index=0,media=disk,format=raw,cache=writeback: drive
> with bus=0, unit=0 (index=0) exists
>
> I think that kind of config used to work with xend.

Did it? I thought xvda and hda were effectively considered two faces of
the same device, so I'm not so sure. I'd be particularly surprised if
this worked by design rather than coincidence.

Based on docs/misc/vbd-interface.txt I wouldn't be all that surprised if
some guest kernels had a problem with this even if you could convince
the toolstack it was ok.