Re: [Xen-devel] [libvirt] Setting devid for emulated NICs (Xen 4.3.1 / libvirt 1.2.0) using libxl driver

Jim Fehlig wrote:
> Ian Campbell wrote:

>>> The xend toolstack always creates both emulated and vif devices unless
>>> 'type=netfront' is explicitly specified.  As you say, the guest gets to
>>> choose what to do with them.  E.g. PXE boot using the emulated device,
>>> or have the driver for the PV device unplug the emulated one.  I don't
>>> think libxl supports this right?
>>>

>> On my 4.3.1 setup, I changed the above to

Updated the system to Xen 4.4 rc1 meanwhile...

>>   if (hvm) {
>>
>>   x_nic->nictype = LIBXL_NIC_TYPE_VIF_IOEMU;
>>
>>       if (l_nic->model) {
>>
>>           if (VIR_STRDUP(x_nic->model, l_nic->model) < 0)
>>
>>       return -1;
>>
>>           if (STREQ(l_nic->model, "netfront"))
>>
>>               x_nic->nictype = LIBXL_NIC_TYPE_VIF;
>>
>>       }
>>
>>   } else {
>>
>>       x_nic->nictype = LIBXL_NIC_TYPE_VIF;
>>
>>   }
>>

>> which is better initialization logic IMO.  If the domain is hvm, set
>> nictype to LIBXL_NIC_TYPE_VIF_IOEMU, unless model 'netfront' is
>> specified.  This behavior is consistent with the legacy xen driver.
>> The change seems to work fine and resolves the PXE issue Stefan noted -

I've submitted a patch for the PXE issue to the libvirt list

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2014-January/msg00208.html

>> as long as I initialize devid in libvirt.  So we'll need the above fix
>> in libvirt, as well as a resolution to the nic devid initialization in
>> libxl that started this thread.

Stefan, any progress on the devid initialization?

Regards,
Jim