Re: [Xen-devel] Best board for ARM ?

On Tue, 2013-12-10 at 09:11 +0100, Claudio Scordino wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> thank you for your help.
>

> >> Arndale is probably the best bet. Allwinner based stuff (aka sunxi) is
> >> less well tested overall but might have better availability, it is also
> >> super cheap in most cases (e.g. cubieboard2/truck).
> >>
> > Ok, thanks Ian for the info!
> >
> > In case one wants to go for cubie, this is where all the information
> > lives, right?
> > http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Allwinner
> >
> > Is it still current? Have things got any better lately, from either
> > Linux or Xen side?
> >
> > While this is, I think, the same for Arndale:
> > http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Arndale
> > which does look less "hacky", at least at a first glance...
> >
> > Claudio, perhaps you can investigate how easy it would be for you to get
> > an Arndale board, and fallback on cubie2/truck if it's actually that
> > hard?
>
> I checked.
>
> Arndale says 4 weeks to ship, which may be a too long time (especially
> if not respected).

That's down from the 8-12 weeks which it was over the summer when I
ordered some at least!

BTW, what we use is the "Arndale-5250 Package-B" from www.howchip.com
("Samsung Exynos 5 Dual Cortex-A15 core 1.7 GHz").

There is a newer Arndale Octa (4xA15+4xA7) Exynos 5420 based thing which
we haven't worked with yet, I'm not sure if they are even available.
howchip says "coming soon", but for your usage I would avoid it for now.

> Cubie2, instead, is available in stock on several distributors.

FWIW I ordered a cubietruck (==cubieboard3) from cubietruck.com on
Friday just gone and it shipped today, arrival in "10-20 working days".
The shipping email says that Italy would be 15-25.

The truck has twice as much RAM, but uses the same processor as the cb2
so I hope it will be up and running pretty quickly.