Re: [Xen-devel] [Spice-devel] Vdagent not working on xen linux hvm DomUs

Il 05/12/2013 17:02, Wei Liu ha scritto:
On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 04:50:03PM +0100, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
Il 05/12/2013 16:21, Wei Liu ha scritto:
On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 04:11:52PM +0100, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
[...]
I saw a draft of virtio disk/net implementation for xen here:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Virtio_On_Xen

There are 2 kernel patch to support virtio on pv domUs:
http://downloads.xen.org/Wiki/VirtioOnXen/linux-01-virtio-xenbus.patch
http://downloads.xen.org/Wiki/VirtioOnXen/linux-02-virtio-ring.patch

Do not use these patches, they were experimental.

What about virtio on hvm linux? Maybe
 From wiki it seems virtio kernel patches only needed for pv domUs.
Could be these patches needed to have virtio fully working also for
hvm domUs?

Virtio for HVM guests should work out of the box. You probably need to
prevent kernel from unplugging emulated devices.

Wei.
Thanks for reply.

I not mean virtio disk/net but virtio-serial channels used for
example by spice vdagent.
The libxl implentation xen side is correct and on windows domUs
vdagent is working (I'm using it since 2 year).
On linux domUs I found that virtio ports under /dev are missed/not
created and I not understand why.
That's probably unplugged by Xen platform PCI device.

Recently I tried also with xen_platform_pci=0 and the Konrad's patch
(xen/pvhvm: If xen_platform_pci=0 is set don't blow up) but to no
avail.

I haven't followed up that patch so I am not sure what's happening.

Wei.

Thanks for any reply.

I did another tests, adding pci=nomsi to kernel boot option creates virtio-serial ports correctly and vdagent works also on linux domUs, I also tried to enable the xen platform and also in that case vdagent works.
So the problem is only about msi.
Added xen-devel to cc.
Any ideas on how to fix permanently without adding pci=nomsi?

Thanks for any reply.