Re: [Xen-devel] POD: soft lockups in dom0 kernel

>>> On 05.12.13 at 14:55, Dietmar Hahn <dietmar.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> when creating a bigger (> 50 GB) HVM guest with maxmem > memory we get
> softlockups from time to time.
>
> kernel: [  802.084335] BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [xend:31351]
>
> I tracked this down to the call of xc_domain_set_pod_target() and further
> p2m_pod_set_mem_target().
>
> Unfortunately I can this check only with xen-4.2.2 as I don't have a machine
> with enough memory for current hypervisors. But it seems the code is nearly
> the same.
>
> My suggestion would be to do the 'pod set target' in the function
> xc_domain_set_pod_target() in chunks of maybe 1GB to give the dom0 scheduler
> a chance to run.
> As this is not performance critical it should not be a problem.

This is a broader problem: There are more long running hypercalls
than just the one setting the POD target. While a kernel built with
CONFIG_PREEMPT ought to have no issue with this (as the
hypervisor internal preemption will always exit back to the guest,
thus allowing interrupts to be processed) as long as such
hypercalls aren't invoked with preemption disabled, non-
preemptable kernels (the suggested default for servers) have -
afaict - no way to deal with this.

However, as long as interrupts and softirqs can get serviced by
the kernel (which they can as long as they weren't disabled upon
invocation of the hypercall), that may also be a mostly cosmetic
problem (in that the soft lockup is being reported) as long as no
real time like guarantees are required (which if they were would
be sort of contradictory to the kernel being non-preemptable),
i.e. other tasks may get starved for some time, but OS health
shouldn't be impacted.

Hence I wonder whether it wouldn't make sense to simply
suppress the soft lockup detection at least across privcmd
invoked hypercalls - Cc-ing upstream Linux maintainers to see if
they have an opinion or thoughts towards a proper solution.

Jan