Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.4 development update: RC0 imminent

>>That wasn't a yes/no question; it is a, "which do you think is best" question:

>>* Announcing features for external projects (linux, libvirt) in the main Xen
>>release.  Advantage: Longer list of features, more concentrated coverage

>>* Announcing features for external projects when the external projects
>>release.  Advantage: More frequent coverage, may build good-will between
>>projects to announce their releases

> My gut: do both.  Make noise in the Xen release, then make more noise when
> the external project releases.  Preface the second one with "as we previously
> indicated during the release of XXXX...".

I guess in practice it would be the other way around i think .. at least Linux
and Qemu seem to have a faster paced development cycle.
So if such a project gets a feature that is related to Xen and the present or
next version of Xen is going to take advantage of that, that news could be
shared on a blog.

The release announcement could have a summary or a link to a summary article
which gives an overview of features in external projects the new Xen release
can now take advantage off and that were introduced in the external project in
the timeframe of the Xen release.
Although that could lead to misconceptions as will i guess, say f.e.:
- As a external feature in linux, pv ticketlocks could be mentioned.
- It's xen related, it went into the kernel during the timeframe of the coming
release.
- But by mentioning it specifically at the release it could be misinterpreted
as being tied to the Xen version of the release (which it is not, in this case)

So it's probably important to at least make very clear:
- if it is tied to this release, or also applicable to the previous stable
versions of Xen.
- in which version of the external project it was introduced

--
Sander