Re: [Xen-devel] Possible memory leak in qemu-dm (qemu-dm swapping 20GB+, adding 2gb+ per day)

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Niklas Bivald <niklas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,

> solves the memory leak and is running the patched binary live. Big thanks to
> everyone who helped - specially Matthew who "patched the patch" to work with
> xen.
>

> With the help of Matthew I've successfully compiled the patch on xen 4.1.4
> (git checkout tags/RELEASE-4.1.4 and make dist-tools) and me and
> ilon@xxxxxxxxxx has confirmed independently that the patch does solve the
> memory leak in qemu-dm. To make sure we've changed nothing except the patch,
> we also compiled from source without the patch to confirm the memory leak
> was actually there before (which is was)

Awesome, thank you for reliably tracking it down. I'm surprised that
the issue could have amounted to such a large memory leak in
production.

> The final patch (again, thanks to Matthew) is available on
> https://gist.github.com/bivald/7691087

Roger did the real work in finding the bug originally and making the
original patch!

That qemu_iovec_init call wasn't meant to be commented out however,
just the call to qemu_iovec_reset in the following "get one from
freelist" block. I'm happy to do a cleaned-up backport if no-one else
here does it instead; all that was involved were a couple of missing
members from struct ioreq IIRC.

- Matthew