Re: [Xen-devel] Xen on ARM basic questions

On Fri, 2013-11-22 at 10:05 -0500, Vaibhav Bedia wrote:
> >>  After going through the recent talk from Stefano [1] i got
> >> the impression getting network and SATA requires SWIOTLB support. Is
> >> that correct?
> >
> > The SWIOTLB or an IOMMU/SMMU is necessary for dom0 to drive the physical
> > devices and provide the virtual interfaces to the guests.
> >
> > Device passthrough will only be supported with an IOMMU/SMMU.
> >

> So on SoCs like OMAP5 which don't have an IOMMU device passthrough won't be
> supported? Or it can be done via SWIOTLB if someone works on it?

I'm not in favour of supporting this. It's a big can of worms wrt
security.

> >> Right now i have an OMAP5 dom0 with network+usb support and i am
> >> trying to figure out how to get these things in domU and hence the
> >> questions.
> >
> > You need blkback and netback in dom0 and blkfront and netfront in domU
> > (all in mainline Linux). Then you need to add vif and disk options to
> > your guest configuration.
> >

> I enabled both of the options and can get a ramdisk based domU running fine.
> I tried a Ubuntu based fs for domU but can't get to the login prompt
> for some reason.
> I tried out the various options mentioned @
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Common_Problems#Console
> and some other things mentioned on various forums but nothing seems to work :(
> Any hints on where things could be going wrong? I have hvc0.conf under
> /etc/init/

Do you have CONFIG_HVC_XEN enabled in the guest kernel config? Is the
guest detecting that it is running under Xen? Can you post a guest dmesg
please.

> On the networking front, i setup the brigde in dom0 and verified that i can
> ping
> external hosts. However there's some issue with the whole thing since domU
> can get an ip address but still can't ping the outside world. Switching back
> dom0 the network seems to eventually die and at times dom0 becomes totally
> unresponsive :(

Is the domU getting an IP address via DHCP or some other method? Have
you confirmed that the vif is added to the bridge? Do you have any
firewalls setup in dom0?

What do you mean by "switching back to dom0"?