Re: [Xen-devel] Test if on newer xen all SSE2 and SSE3 instructions are effectively working

Il 22/11/2013 13:16, Jan Beulich ha scritto:
On 22.11.13 at 13:14, Fabio Fantoni <fabio.fantoni@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Il 21/11/2013 16:38, Andrew Cooper ha scritto:
On 21/11/13 15:32, George Dunlap wrote:
On 21/11/13 15:22, Andrew Cooper wrote:
On 21/11/13 15:12, George Dunlap wrote:
On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Fabio Fantoni
<fabio.fantoni@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm trying to test if on newer xen all SSE2 and SSE3 instructions are
effectively working.
I tried this simple program to test SSE2:
http://forum.nasm.us/index.php?topic=1605.0
But probably use only instructions with short operand because SSE2
on this
program is working also on old xen 4.0 where Jan Beulich patches to
support
long operands are missing.
Are there any minimal program to test if SSE instructions with MMIO
operands
8 byte are working?
I don't see the code there doing MMIO -- it's just doing operations on
normal RAM, which is not emulated by Xen at all, but executed natively
by the processor.

What you need is a program that will do this to an MMIO region -- that
will be a much trickier thing to set up, I think.

    -George
The problem with SSE is only when the guest performs an SSE (or larger)
operation on a piece of memory which ends up being emulated and handed
to qemu.  The ioreq protocol doesn't have a way of signalling an operand
width greater than 64 bits.
I'd like to emphasize the "and" in the first sentence.  You might be
able to trigger a Xen emulation in any number of ways (disabling HAP
and then doing an SSE instruction on an in-use PT might do it).  But
Xen allegedly already does the actual emulation correctly -- as Andy
said, it's only the path to qemu that wasn't working before.

   -George

Oops yes - I should have emphasised that a bit more.  I believe Jan
submitted a hacked-fix for the qemu path which fixes the immediate issue
(for 128bit emulation) but is in need of a redesign for wider emulation;
256bit is available with AVX, and 512bit is on its way with AVX2.

As for testing individual instructions, there is
tools/tests/x86_emulator/test_x86_emulator.c which tests a token few
instructions against Xen's emulation code, but it is far from comprehensive.

~Andrew
Thanks for all replies.
I tried x86_emulator on dom0 and SSE2 instructions seems ok:
Sure. Which means you still didn't understand that you need to
try with SSE instructions accessing MMIO where the emulation
happens in qemu.

Jan

I have understood that this test needs to be tried inside hvm domUs (as I have posted in my previous mail):
Same result on linux hvm domUs.

What I do not understand if is there is a test to accessing MMIO with SEE2 on x86_emulator and if not, an alternate way to make this check.

Thanks for any reply.