Re: [Xen-devel] PVH and mtrr/PAT.........

>>> On 21.11.13 at 16:47, George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM, Mukesh Rathor
> <mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 18:12:13 +0000
>> George Dunlap <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Mukesh,
>>>
>>> Do you know why this line is having this effect?  For one, is it a
>>> matter of direct_mmio pages being given something other than
>>> UNCACHEABLE, or a matter of non-direct_mmio pages given something
>>> other than WRBACK?
>>>
>>> And is the problem that the guest is *not* setting MTRRs, or that the
>>> guest *is* setting MTRRs?
>>>
>>> I'd prefer to avoid having a special case for PVH in this path if
>>> possible.
>>
>> Without any changes to epte_get_entry_emt(), all types are being returned
>> as MTRR_TYPE_WRBACK for PVH because of:
>>
>>     if ( !v->domain->arch.hvm_domain.params[HVM_PARAM_IDENT_PT] )
>>             return MTRR_TYPE_WRBACK;
>>
>> This is problem for low level non-ram pages being accessed in dom0,
>> (which interesting gave MCE errors). non-ram IO pages have to be
>> MTRR_TYPE_UNCACHABLE.
>
> Hmm -- that looks like a bug in the logic there.  AFAICT, there's no
> reason for the lack of IDENT_PT to change the memory type like that.
>
> Unfortunately the changeset that introduced this (77283249) has
> neither comments nor a proper description of what's going on, so it's
> hard to tell where this came from.

While a commit without any description at all is clearly bogus (even
more so in the light that this is the very change that also caused
XSA-60), in the case here it introduces the function as a whole, and
hence would not have been likely to comment on why the function
was written the way it is.

I take it that this goes alongside the other check immediately previous
to it: When not set yet, assume WB (for the sake of the tool stack).
But I think this tool stack requirement should be expressed without
looking at this HVM param.

Sadly the person having written that code doesn't appear to be
working on Xen anymore (and my not be at Intel anymore either),
so I'm afraid we'll have to sort this out ourselves. Nevertheless -
Intel folks, can you comment on this please?

Jan