[Xen-devel] Xen Dev event calendar for 2013 [input needed]

  • To: "xen-devel (xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 16:29:37 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 16:29:52 +0000

Hi all,

I had an action from the last Advisory Board meeting to float some options and
get community input for developer events. You may need to get back to your
managers and check how easy/or hard it would be to get travel approval.

We had a discussion earlier this year, with the goal to alternate "continents"
for Hackathons and Dev Summits and make sure they are not in the same year.
This year we had both in Europe. Options belowo are:

Xen Project Developer Summit 2014

#1 Co-locate the Xen Project Developer Summit with LinuxCon NA, Chicago, the
week of  August 20th

My personal vote "+1" goes for this option, on the grounds that this year we
had the summit in the EU

#2 Co-locate the Xen Project Developer Summit with LinuxCon EU, Düsseldorf, the
week of  October 13th

Hackathon 2014

#1 We have a tentative offer by GlobalLogic to host a Hackathon in spring.
Locations could be Jerusalem, Israel or Ukraine
#1 March is hard, but April or May would work (we would have to work around
Easter, which would means beginning of April or beginning of May)

I don't have a view. Travelling to Israel may be problematic : from the US east
coast it is 11h, from the west coast 15h.

#2 I do not have any alternative yet

The alternative would be to look for a vendor who can host the event in Europe.
We do have a few vendors who have EU sites. Theoretical possibilities based on
vendors I know would be Germany (a few locations) and UK (a few locations). I
can raise with the Advisory Board and see whether someone is willing to step
up. If someone on this list is willing to go back to their managers, that would
also work. We typically need the vendor to provide space for 35 people (and
coffee and coffee breaks).

Other big events to keep in mind

# FOSDEM, Feb 1&2
# Linaro Connect Asia, March 3-7
# Linux Foundation Collab Summit, March 26-28
# Automotive Summit, Tokyo, June 2-3 / LinuxCon Japan, Tokyo, June 4-6
# OSCON, Portland, July 21-25
# LinuxCon NA, Chicago, August 20-22
# LinuxCon EU, Dusseldorf, October 13-15

Feel free to add to this list

Regards
Lars