Re: [Xen-devel] PVH and mtrr/PAT.........

When using EPT for HVM guest, the MTRRs have no effect on the memory type used
for an access to an guest physical address.
Instead, the EMT (EPT memory type) in EPT entry acts as the role.
epte_get_entry_emt() demonstrates how to determine the EMT for a certain
gfn/mfn.

> I thought from EPT standpoint, either RAM or IO region, so either
> MTRR_TYPE_UNCACHABLE or MTRR_TYPE_WRBACK.  In case of
> MSR_IA32_CR_PAT,
> the guest just writes to it natively. I'm confused between PAT and
> MTRRs, reading now that I can just focus on this fixme. Should I look
> where guest is parsing e820 and setting MTRRs on baremetal?

If "IPAT" bit in EPT entry is set to 1, PAT will not take effect and only EMT
controls the memory type.
Otherwise if PAT and MTRR/EMT are both enabled, you can refer to a detailed
table in SDM 11.5.2.2 to see which memory type really takes effect.

Thanks,
Dongxiao