[Xen-devel] Device Reset on Nvidia GPUs

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 12:18:39 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 12:18:44 +0000

I've noticed that nouveau driver has a sysfs reset implemented
(although I'm not sure whether it is just a stub or whether it
does anything).

Now, I fully understand that this is not actually necessary,
based purely on empirical evidence:

My ATI cards reliably crash the host when the domU the are passed
to is rebooted, and the xen-pciback driver does have the sysfs
reset implemented for ATI cards.

OTOH, my (modified) Nvidia cards handle domU reboots perfectly
and the xen-pciback driver has no sysfs reset implementation
for those.

So I'm kind of torn between:
1) It's not broken so don't even think about trying to fix it.
2) Since FOSS reset implementation seems to exist, it might be
handy to port it into the xen-pciback feature list (caveat:
this may impact 1), which would be embarrasing).

Thoughts?

Gordan