Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] mm locking order violation when HVM guest changes graphics mode on virtual graphics adapter.

On 2013-10-31 12:27, Andres Lagar-Cavilla wrote:
>> Reliably reproducible, occurs when HVM guest changes graphics mode
>> virtual graphics adapter on Xen 4.3.0 from Gentoo.
>>
>> To reproduce: Using Xen 4.3.0 from Gentoo Portage Tree, and the
>> corresponding version of Xl, both built with GCC 4.7.3 with HVM and
>> qemu-dm support built in:
>> 1. Boot using a Gentoo Linux Dom0 with kernel version 3.10.7-r1 built
>> with the kernel config found at http://pastebin.com/GxDpPsk3.
>> 2. Get a copy of the fedora i686 network install CD.
>> 2. Start a HVM domain with a configuration like the one found at
>> http://pastebin.com/p0wxnaTg.
>> 3. After connecting to the VNC console, start the install process.
>> 4. When Anaconda tries to start the graphical environment, causing the
>> kernel to change the graphics mode from the current setting, xen will
>> crash with a call to BUG() in mm.h at line 118.
>>
>> Xen log can be found at http://pastebin.com/zKCJsp21.
>> xl info output can be found at http://pastebin.com/NqtksS18.
>> lspci -vvv output can be found at http://pastebin.com/Ja97Cx42.
>> xenstore contents can be found at http://pastebin.com/aL9vpxwu.
>>
>> I'll be happy to provide any other information you may need upon request.
>
> Thanks for the report.
>
> From what I can glean you are using AMD NPT, can you confirm?
>
> So the trigger is that you are using both PoD and nested virt. To elaborate:
> - Setting maxmem to 2G and men to 512M uses the PoD (populate on demand
> subsystem) to account for the 1.5GB of extra wiggle room. Please make sure
> you have a guest balloon that will be able to deal with the guest trying to
> use over 512M.
> - You have nestedhvm=1. Do you really need this?
>
> Changing either (memory == maxmem or nestedhvm=0) will remove the problem and
> allow you to make progress.
>
> There is a real bug, however, that needs to be fixed here. At some point in
> the 4.3 cycle the flushing of the nested p2m table was added, and it would
> seem to be relinquishing the p2m lock:
> __get_gfn_type_access -> grab p2m lock
> p2m_pod_demand_populate -> grab pod lock
> p2m_next_level -> still holding p2m lock
> then drops it
> p2m_flush_table -> grabs p2m lock -> KAPOW
>
> Andres

Thanks for the quick response, I in fact probably don't need the nested
hvm, I just have gotten in the habit of using it because many people who
use the system like to use virtualbox, which dosen't work too well
without it (although it still works much better than trying to run it on
a PV domain).  As for the memory balloon, i probably don't need that
either, it was mostly to try to improve domain creation speed because
the domain gets started during boot.  Tried disabling both and things
work. Thanks again.