Re: [Xen-devel] xl command autocompletion: domain names

On Tue, 2013-10-29 at 11:29 +1300, Matthew Daley wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 4:57 AM, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Matthew Daley writes ("xl command autocompletion: domain names"):
> >> I'm looking at implementing bash command autocompletion for xl (at
> >> least for Debian to begin with as that's what I'm familiar with, and
> >> then looking at getting it into other distros). One component that
> >> needs to be created for this is a function that enumerates all the
> >> current running domains by name.
> >>
> >> Obviously I can't use `xl list` because that requires escalated
> >> privileges. One gross solution would be to make a small setuid wrapper
> >> that just reads the domain names out of xenstore, but I think there is
> >> a better solution:
> >
> > But nothing else you can do with xl will work without those escalated
> > privileges.  So I don't understand why you can't just punt if the user
> > doesn't have the right privilege.
>
> The use case I have in mind is the user using sudo, where the bash
> completion script will run as the unprivileged shell user still.

Is this not a common problem with completion vs. sudo? How is it
normally dealt with?

I don't necessarily object to setting the process title, it feels a bit
1980s/sendmail-ish to me but that might just be me ;-)

On the other hand maybe it is a useful thing to do, is it common(ish)
practice for daemons to do that sort of thing these days? (The lack of a
standardised interface seem to imply not terribly common...)